Add a Nest Thermostat
Starting August 31st, 2019, Google has decided to migrate the Works with Nest program over to Google Assistant Program.
What does that mean for your Smart Remote integration with Nest?
Existing users who have added their Nest thermostat to their Smart Remote before August 31st will be able to continue using it by keeping their Nest account. However Smart Remote won't have access to new features that will be available with the Google Account.
All new users of Smart Remote starting August 31st will not be able to add new Nest thermostats to their Smart Remote (Nest will not accept new connections).
How to continue controlling Nest with Smart Remote?
- Existing users: to continue using Smart Remote to control your Nest thermostat and enjoy Smart Remote’s unified experience, we recommend that you do not migrate to a Google account. Important note: Nest will not accept new connections even though you keep your Nest account. In other words, erasing your App, doing a factory reset or deleting your Nest from the Smart Remote App will prevent you from adding it again.
- New users: you can use our IFTTT Webhooks integration to create buttons on your Smart Remote to control your Nest thermostat via IFTTT. Here is how to set up Webhooks.
Google has communicated that they will create a new partner program to allow third party devices to connect with Nest thermostats in the future but they have not communicated yet on when this will happen. We’ll make sure to share with our users any updates we receive from Google on this.
More information about the changes to Nest can be found on Google’s FAQ page.
How to add Nest
Smart Remote is compatible with Nest Thermostats via Wi-Fi.
Here is how to add a Nest Thermostat on Smart Remote:
Make sure your phone is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as Smart Remote.
Launch the Sevenhugs Smart Remote app and make sure you are on the Devices & Service tab.
Select “Add a device or service"
Select “Wi-Fi & Bluetooth Devices”
Select "Scan my network"
Select your Nest Thermostat
Connect to your Nest account
Nest Thermostat should be added on your Smart Remote.
No Fan functionality
No Home/away functionality
- Add an IR device
- Add a service
- Reorder devices and services
- Customize device screen layout
- Create a TV Scene
- Create a Home Scene
- Activate Point Mode and locate items